Thursday, February 23, 2012

Bambi-Eyes are Smiling- and Laughing for Now

This is our Rite of Almost-Spring when the school counselor brings the 8th graders to the library, has them calculate their GPA, and helps them do a reality-check on where they are with their grades and test scores, and where they need to be at the end of the year. All the little Bambi-Eyes are laughing now, but in 3 months or less, I'll be seeing a lot of these little faces in here crying because someone doesn't want to promote them to High School.

I had a teacher send two students down last week to see if they had an English Handbook that they needed for homework, and of course, they had sworn that they never received the book. My system shows they did, and it is amazing how their stories change 3 times within the same conversation, and the parental part of my brain is screaming neither of these students has done a lick of homework in months. They probably haven't cleaned their rooms since before Halloween, either.

I should run a side business as a bookie, taking bets on their GPAs because I could predict fairly accurately who is going to rise above that comfort zone of a 2.0 GPA and who is going to be finishing near the back of the pack from what I see and hear in the textbook room.

I'm betting that one-half of the 8th grade is going to be saying special prayers, polishing apples for teachers, and trying to do a lot of work in the next few weeks, about half of which will be illegible, inadequate, and off-topic. Oh, well. They've got to learn sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment