Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Count and the Amount

I'm wearing my invisible textbook hat, trying to "guestimate" how short we will be on particular textbook titles, which will be fun because we have no money anyway. All of this takes me back to my middle school days and after school rituals.

We didn't even have television at home until I was in middle school so I had to go to my grandparents, which is where I watched the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show. I was so young for that event and didn't go into screaming fits or quite catch the significance of it. I think my parents wanted an environment without the television until I was in middle school. All of a sudden it seemed like the reception had picked up enough that out came the television and the antennae. No cable in those days, especially out in the country with your closest neighbors a mile away. If you didn't like those half dozen channels that you could pull in, tough. Go read a book or do something.
After school and on hot days in the summer, I'd come home, turn on Channel 2 Oakland, and watch "Dialing with Dollars," hosted by Pat McCormick who received these post cards from viewers with their phone numbers. He had this count and amount system, and he'd call homes and say with his very distinctive voice, "Pat McCormick, Dialing for Dollars, calling. Are you watching? What's the movie, and the count and the amount?" If you could tell him, you won a prize, some money and maybe some restaurant coupons. My mom was so uncool because she didn't send in a post card. I guess she thought we lived too far away for someone to call long distance.

Pat McCormick must have been the equivalent of a babysitter for latchkey kids because he also broke up the movie screening with little puppet intermissions, and he had two of the greatest puppets I ever saw; Humphrey and Charley. One was a bull dog, and the other was a horse. McCormick was always off screen when the puppets talked, and he did a great job with his voice. I would forget McCormick was behind them, he was so good.

Anyway, the count and the amount is the name of the game with textbooks. I'm almost afraid I will have to go dialing for dollars to meet the needs of starting the next school year.

The middle-schoolers today wouldn't take to Charley and Humphrey, but television, even if it was black and white, had such better shows then. I cancelled my cable last year- I just can't deal with 100 channels of nothing, half of which are scooping me on the tabloid issues of the day. Back to reading those books because I don't like what comes to me on 100 plus channels.

No comments:

Post a Comment