Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Programs and ebooks in the Library

Recent trends indicate ebooks selling more copies and publishers fighting less against the trend. I think school libraries should go more in that direction also because I seem to be spending more time hosting events in in the library than checking out books. If we have ebooks and train everyone to access them, we might actually have readers. Not to mention, weeding might be an entirely different matter. Perhaps after 20 years, the title just melts into cyberspace.

The Men to Boys program held a meeting in the library during lunch and 5th period about bullying. They had a speaker, a Mr. Hernandez, who did an excellent presentation, and even addressed cyberbullying. Mr. Hernandez mentioned how one of his sons got caught up in a gang. After the program, I had the opportunity to speak with him, and his story is truly one of extraordinary effort and love to remove his son from the gang, including sending him away from the Bay Area to Samoa for an extended amount of time.

While the program was in progress, I continued going through Destiny and eliminated more ghost records for books that probably haven't been seen in 30 years. I also found a number of books for which fast records had been created without including the copyright date. Most of those books had copyrights as recent or later than 2000, and I took them out and recatalogued them by attaching them to an entry with a MARC record. That should help the average age of the collection.

To archive or not to archive: my take on the school library is that it is not an archival institution, and more than one or two books of 20 or more years of age within a 100 span range of the Dewey Decimal system is too many. We all form attachments, and yes, some of these books still have good information, but let them live on in the classroom libraries of the history teachers. Too many titles are unappetizing, and when you open up the book, the copy is dirty and disgusting. A whole bunch of other titles might inspire a new generation of writers to reexamine the subject matter. Some subjects and persons would be better put into books more general in scope or into collective biographies. Single book titles devoted to each battle of World War II are about as necessary as a single book titles devoted to each of Napoleon Bonaparte's engagements. History moves on, and unless students are specializing in history at a university, they don't need that much World War II detail. Less shelf space devoted to some of this stuff is better for a middle school.

In my case, most of what I am deleting are ghosts; mere records in the system, and I really don't know why someone barcoded all these books from the 1940s through the 1970s. I guess we all get attached to these books.

I think I should do a book featuring all the literary shrines of my life, and it will probably have an audience limited to myself, but perhaps it will help me let go of library books.

No comments:

Post a Comment